Friday, July 30, 2010

Nightmare- Avenged Sevenfold


Avenged Sevenfold, a rock band based out of California, released their fifth album this past Tuesday. I picked it up yesterday on my way back from a vacation in St. George. The main reason I decided to buy this album is due to the involvement of one of my musical heroes- Mike Portnoy. Their previous drummer, James "The Rev" Sullivan, died of a drug overdose last year, and he was a big fan of Mike Portnoy. So, the band decided the best way to honor his memory would be to use the songs they had worked on together, and to have his favorite drummer play drums on the record just like "The Rev" would. So, they created an album that is somewhat a dedication to their fellow bandmate and brother, and called it "Nightmare".

Now, I don't own any other Avenged Sevenfold records, I am only familiar with a few of their previous hits. So, I took a big risk getting this album, but the risk most definitely paid off! My type of music is typically Progressive Rock, so it is quite a change of pace for me to listen to a more straightforward rock album. But, I can't help but have a huge smile on my face as I listen to this album. It has everything you could want- heavy, intense rockers, softer emotional ballads and even some surprises. The band even ventures into progressive metal territory with their closing 11 minute song, "Save Me". It is quite a musical journey and is very exciting to listen to.

Also notable to me is the great opener, "Nightmare" that just knocks your socks off right from the start. I love "Buried Alive" which features a softer beginning before building into a powerhouse of a song. One of the most meaningful songs is "Fiction" which "The Rev" wrote for the album days before his death. The song even features his voice as he sang on the demo of the song. It is chilling because the lyrics seem to almost predict his own death. It creates a haunting, but beautiful song that is dripping with emotion. It is truly something special. The other songs range from explosively heavy to emotionally poignant. It is the perfect balance for me.

I was surprised that I enjoyed this record so much. It may even make its way into my top ten albums of the year, which is shocking because generally the top ten is reserved for progressive albums. But, sometimes it is refreshing to just hear well-done rock. It may not be as complex as what I'm used to and it may even verge on cheesy at moments, but it is just so massively enjoyable to listen to. What I really love about it is how it manages to respect the memory of "The Rev" and even at times seem to be about him and his death lyrically. Mike Portnoy manages to match the sound of "The Rev" so as not to draw any attention to him and to honor the drum parts how "The Rev" would have played them. I am very happy I purchased this album and can't wait to continue getting into the album over time. Great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment